I'll never forget the night I was invited to a friend’s house for dinner. She made a delicious meal of chicken, broccoli, and rice that I completely enjoyed. Living with my Dad and brother, 2 meat and potato guys, it was a special treat to have some yummy “girl food”. For dessert, she made a something I’d never tried before---chocolate chip scones.
From the first bite, I was hooked. They were delicious! What amazed me is that she made them as we were talking. Within a few minutes, they were out of the oven, and we were enjoying them.
Totally impressed with this dessert, I asked if she’d be willing to share it with you, our readers. If you’re looking for an easy, made-from-scratch dessert to share on a cold, wintry evening, you have to try this recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones. They are perfect for dessert when company comes over, or they’ll impress at any Sunday brunch. Personally, I think the best way to enjoy them is with a friend watching a chick flick with a cup of tea or cocoa. Sound perfect? Well, here’s the recipe:
Kara’s Chocolate Chip Scones
3 ¼ cups of flour 1/3 cup sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt 1 ½ sticks cold butter
1 cup of buttermilk (for a buttermilk substitute add 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of regular milk)
10-12 ounces of chocolate chips
1. Start by mixing all of the dry ingredients.
2. Next, cut butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry until it looks like coarse crumbs.
3. Then stir in the buttermilk and add the chocolate chips.
4. Knead the dough 10 to 12 times until it is not sticky.
5. Divide the ball of dough in half and place on a floured, flat surface.
6. Pat the dough until it is in a 7 inch circle.
8. Brush the circle with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Cut the circles into 6-8 wedges.
10. Separate the wedges and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
11. Bake at 425 for 10-13 minutes until lightly brown.
When they come out of the oven, you're ready to enjoy your delicious scones. (My favorite is to eat them while they are hot)
If you’re wondering how to make hot cocoa to go with your scones, we’re here to help with this recipe for homemade hot chocolate that will hit the spot. This rich, chocolaty drink is even better when you add a few marshmallows. It makes between 2 and 3 cups.
Dissolve in a little bit of water:
1/4 cup cocoa and ½ cup sugar
Add 2 cups of milk and stir
Cook at a medium heat on the stove top until the cocoa boils.
Add some marshmallows and enjoy a treat!
Hmmm, what a way to spend a cold winter’s night, with warm chocolate chip scones, hot chocolate, and relaxing, fun conversation. Makes you feel warm all over! Hope you’ll try it soon.