It’s back to school season! The slow-paced days of summer are behind us and it’s time to get back into the busy schedule of back to school lunches, homework, after school activities, and more!! Perhaps as you’re getting back into the groove this year, you’re looking for some new quick, easy, inexpensive, yet still healthy and tasty recipes to feed your family. Here’s a new recipe I tried this month that was a pretty big hit with one of my pickiest eaters: Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
Let me tell you, this very simple recipe has been working overtime at my house lately. First, it’s been great for my Dad to take in his lunch to work (fulfilling all the requirements of his new diabetic, low-carb diet, yet still tasty enough that he enjoys it). He can also eat it as a quick dinner on nights when I’m not around to cook. Finally, it made a great “covered dish” when it was my day to take food to a church work day. You can eat it with bread, eat it over lettuce on a salad, or just eat it right out of the dish! Best of all, it’s been easy, easy, easy to make. I hope this recipe is as big a hit at your house as it has been at mine!
Easy Chicken Salad
1. Start by washing 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast. (To save money you can use a bone-in breast and remove the skin.)
2. Poach the chicken by cooking it in boiling water for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, take the chicken out of the water cut in half. If there is any pink, cook for another 5-7 minutes until the pink is gone. If all of the chicken is white, then it’s ready.
4. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, cut it into 1 inch cubes and place in a glass bowl.
5. Next add:
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon parsley
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 Stalk of celery finely chopped
2 Tablespoons of onion (chopped)
6. After the chicken has cooled, stir in ¾ cup of mayonnaise.
7. Cover and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
This recipe should make approximately 4 servings or enough for 4 sandwiches.
Hope this recipe makes your back to school season a little smoother and your mealtime a little more enjoyable.